Are you thinking to buy henna for your hair? This article guides you from picking the best henna hair dye through how to safely apply the henna powder for hair, along with the benefits of using henna for hair growth. Henna is an organic henna hair dye that has been used for more than five centuries, and this hair coloring agent not only protects your hair from damage but also contains deep conditioning properties.
Applying henna to improve your scalp and hair health is not a new technique; it has been practiced in Asian and some parts of Western countries for many centuries. Before we hop into preparing the henna hair dye, let's go over the potential benefits of henna for your hair and scalp health.
Amazing benefits of henna for hair
Boosts hair growth
The henna leaves consist of essential vitamins and minerals that strengthen your scalp from within and improve natural hair growth. Also, you can use the henna powder along with other essential oils and herbal powders that offer endless health benefits for your hair.
The antifungal properties of henna nourish your scalp and remove dirt and grease from your hair. The deep conditioning properties of henna help you control dandruff and reduce itchy scalp.
Balances your scalp pH value
Henna calms down your oil-producing sebaceous glands and controls the excessive oily scalp. It also restores your scalp’s natural pH value resulting in voluminous hair.
Reduces split ends
Split ends occur when your scalp is dry and doesn’t contain enough moisture. Henna powder provides a natural solution to retain moisture in your scalp and reduces the split ends.
Reduces premature graying
Oxidative stress on the scalp results in hair breakage, androgenic alopecia, hair loss, and premature graying. Our Mihenna’s henna powder is rich in antioxidative and antibacterial properties that reduce oxidative stress and deal with hair issues.
To obtain the full advantage of henna for healthy hair, the best henna hair dye organic. Most henna powders available on the internet contain harmful chemicals that can damage your hair and scalp. So, it is more important to find healthy henna for hair.
Mihenna- The best place to buy henna for hair
If you are doubtful about where to buy henna for hair, we are here to help you pick the best henna hair dye. Henna powders are found in all supermarkets and superstores. Although many are referred to as “pure henna,” more often than not, they are artificial henna powders with added chemicals which can damage your hair. For the sake of your hair, it’s important to buy pure henna from trusted and reputable brands.
At Mihenna, we care about your hair’s health as much as it’s color. We only use henna powder that’s been tested and certified organic by the USDA. There are no added chemicals so that you can stay focused on repairing your scalp, treating dandruff, regrowing your hair naturally, and getting that gorgeous henna color.
How to make the Henna Mix for hair?
Mihenna helps you to make your own Henna Paste with 3 easy steps:
- Open Mihenna’s henna powder packet and pour it into a bowl of warm water.
- Mix until all lumps are gone and a pudding-like consistency is reached (but don’t lick the spoon!)
- Cover the bowl and let it sit for 8 hours to release the color. Then you’re ready to use!
If you are applying henna powder for the first time, consider using our Mihenna’s Henna Powder Kit which provides the necessary ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions to guide you with the henna application. For even more hot tips, check our beginner’s guide to henna for hair article.
How to apply Henna for Hair?
Things to remember before applying:
- Your hair should be clean and free from dirt or grease. Wash your hair to remove any oil, conditioner, or product from the hair.
- Wear gloves to keep the henna from staining your nails and fingers.
- Perform a strand test to check how your hair interacts with the henna and what color you get.
- Avoid contact around your eyes and mouth. If the dye enters the eyes, wash immediately with cool water and contact a physician if the irritation persists.
- Do not apply over broken skin, cuts, or wounds on your scalp.
- The henna application is for external use only.
- Make sure the henna powder is organic and fresh.
- Apply non-synthetic balm along the hairline to protect the skin from staining.
- If you have undergone chemical treatment on your hair, maintain at least a one-month gap before applying the henna paste.
In the strand test, you will select a portion of your hair and apply the henna paste to know what color is imparted on your hair. Choose a section of hair and apply the henna paste to the strand from the root to the tip. Wait for 30 minutes and wash off the hair strands with cold water and blow dry. Observe the color and check for skin irritation. If you experience a burning sensation or skin irritation, avoid using the paste.
Although the henna plant is rarely an allergen, choose a safe place either behind the ear or forearm to test for reactions. Apply the paste to the skin and wait for ten minutes. If any skin irritation or burning sensation occurs, discontinue the use.
The Process of applying Henna for Hair:
- Henna stains your skin and clothes. Wear gloves and cover your shoulders with an old cloth/towel to prevent staining.
- Start from the center of the head and apply the henna paste evenly from the root of the hair to the ends. You can apply the henna paste directly on the scalp too to receive the added benefits we mentioned above.
- Once you finish the application of henna, cover your hair with a plastic cap or cover.
- Try to apply henna during the day and sit under the sun if possible. You can also use a dryer as exposing the hennaed hair to the heat will allow deeper penetration of henna color.
- Let it dry for 3 hours and rinse thoroughly with cool water.
- Do not use shampoo for 24 hours after removing the dried henna.
- Pat with a towel and dry your hair naturally.
- The hair color reaches its full intensity within 48-72 hours.
FAQ on Henna for Hair
Is henna hair dye safe during pregnancy?
It depends on the type of henna you have selected. The natural henna paste extracted from henna leaves with no added chemicals is safe to use. Don’t use black henna as it contains harmful chemicals. Make sure to check if it’s pure and do a patch test before applying the henna powder to the hair.
Can you apply henna on a dry scalp?
Do not leave the henna on your for more than 5 hours as it may dry out your hair and result in scalp sensitization. If you have a dry scalp, moisturize it before applying.
Can I apply henna on chemically treated hair?
Natural henna powder is 100% safe to apply on chemically treated hair. But, you are advised to wait for at least one month for using henna powder after undergoing chemical hair treatment.
How is black henna different from natural henna?
Natural henna paste is a greenish-brown or dark green color with a strong odor. It leaves an orange color on the skin and turns dark in 24-48 hours. Black henna is black and has no fragrance at all. It immediately leaves black color on the skin. While the natural henna for hair is 100% safe, black henna contains a chemical named PPD that can be harmful to the skin.
Does henna hair dye stain skin?
Yes, even organic henna hair dye leaves temporary stains on your skin. Make sure to cover your shoulders and surrounding areas with a towel.