Human hair naturally turns grey due to aging. But, what is abnormal is that even young adults are experiencing gray hair nowadays. Poor lifestyle habits, stressful conditions, poor eating habits, and chemicals used in hair dyes are some of the major reasons for premature graying in young adults. But, do you know that you can get rid of these gray hairs naturally with henna hair dye for gray hair?
What is Henna?
Henna leaf obtained from the Lawsonia inermis plant is popular for its medicinal benefits on skin and hair. The leaves of the plant are dried, crushed, and smashed into powder. This powder when mixed with liquid can release color which can be used as a tattoo on the skin or a hair mask. Pure henna (without any added chemicals) leaves a reddish-brown color when applied to the skin.
If you want to fight gray hair, natural henna hair dye is the ultimate solution to avoid hair damage or scalp issues. Read on to find out how to safely apply the henna on gray hair and what precautions to follow to achieve the best results:
Does henna cover gray hair?
Yes. Henna is the best and the safest natural henna to cover your gray hair. It leaves a reddish-orange tint on the hair strands after drying. However, the results depend on the natural color of your hair. Henna gradually fades out over time. It has near-permanent results on gray hair. When you have applied henna more than once, it takes really long time to fade. You have to wait till the hair grows and the color fades out.
How to mix the henna paste?
- One large bowl
- 1 cup of distilled warm water or freshly brewed black tea
- Shower cap
- Vaseline or petroleum gel
- Towel or an old cloth
- Pour a packet of Mihenna’s henna powder into a large glass bowl and mix it with water.
- Mix the paste thoroughly until all the lumps disappear and the desired consistency is obtained.
- Make sure the paste is not too loose as the henna may drip staining your skin after applying to the hair.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit for 8-12 hours for the full release of the dye.
How to apply Henna hair dye for grey hair
- Apply vaseline or petroleum gel along the hairline and ears to prevent staining.
- Cover your shoulders with an old cloth/towel.
- Divide your hair into multiple sections using clips and start applying the paste evenly from the hair roots to the ends.
- Grab all your hair on the head and wrap it using a shower cap.
- Leave it aside for 3 hours and rinse thoroughly with cool water. Do not use shampoo but wash with water until all the henna is removed from your hair.
- Blow dry your hair for 10-15 minutes.
- Shampoo after 24 hours to lock in color. Avoid using conditioners for at least one week.
- Keep in mind that the henna takes 48-72 hours to reach its full intensity. Be ready to get amazed by looking at the results of henna on gray hair before and after the application.
You can use the henna on full hair or apply it to specific gray hairs. Remember that dyeing specific gray hair can result in uneven tones as the hair grows and can fade out over time.
Precautions to take while applying henna on gray hair
- Do a patch test to prevent any skin allergies due to henna.
- Wear gloves and spread a towel on your shoulders to prevent henna from staining the skin.
- Do not apply henna hair dye for gray hair when you are suffering from cold as the cooling effect caused by henna can worsen your symptoms.
- Make sure to detangle your hair because henna paste gets struck in the tangles and it becomes difficult to remove the henna completely while washing.
- Wash off the oil on your hair before applying henna as the oil might prevent color absorption.
- Apply vaseline or petroleum gel along the hairline and the neck to prevent the skin from staining.
What is the best henna to cover gray hair?
The henna hair dyes for gray hair available on the market come with added chemicals and harmful additives that can dry out your hair and cause other side effects. Our Mihenna’s henna powder is 100% organic, and vegan with no added chemicals.
We use only essential oils to improve the longevity of henna tattoos and provide better color to the skin. Our products are USDA certified so, you don’t have to worry about the henna quality and safety for your skin and hair. Without a doubt, Mihenna’s henna powder is the best hair dye for gray hair.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to remove henna hair dye on gray hair?
Henna takes a longer time to fade out from your hair. If you want to remove henna from your hair strands and apply warm oil to the hair. Wrap the hair in a shower cap and leave it overnight. Wash it off using the shampoo. You may have to repeat the process a few more times to remove the henna completely from your hair.
How often can you apply henna hair dye on gray hair?
You can apply henna once a month. If you have chemically treated your hair, make sure to keep at least a one-month gap before dyeing your hair with henna.
Is Henna Hair dye good for hair?
Apart from adding color to your hair and covering your gray hair, henna has many medicinal benefits. It deeply conditions your hair and forms a protective coating on the hair strands resulting in shining and thick hair. It also balances the pH value of your scalp and has a cooling effect on the skin.
Does henna makes your hair fall out?
It is normal to lose 150 strands of hair per day approximately. Natural henna doesn’t cause hair fall. If you apply henna to the hair that is about to fall out, you will experience hair fall. Henna leaves contain tannin known as hennotanic acid. It tightens the surface of the skin and hair follicles resulting in thick and strong hair.
Do you apply henna on wet or dry hair?
You can apply henna on either wet hair or dry hair. Whatever way that helps you easily divide your hair into sections can be preferred. Make sure that your hair is free from dirt, and mineral buildup. Remove oil, and conditioners and keep your hair clean. In the case of wet hair, ensure to at least towel dry so that when the paste is applied, the water in the hair doesn’t drool down causing stains on your skin.